I've run out of things to say ...

 The philosopher Ludwig Wittgenstein ends his Tractatus with these words: 


That whereof we cannot speak, thereof we must remain silent.

Never in human history have we been bombarded with so many words in so many forms—a veritable babel, an incomprehensible cacophony. Silence is golden, so they say, but is in short supply in 2022. For good or ill, I have added to the barrage of words. Between my published books (15 with two in process), journal articles and book chapters (over 30 and counting), a bi-weekly blog (for 13 years) and a book series (nine books so far) I estimate, conservatively, I have more than a million published words.

I have run out of things to say. Perhaps, I should have heeded Wittgenstein a long time ago! Even so, I am not about to take a vow of silence. Having built a habit of writing I doubt I will stop anytime soon. I have ideas for two more books after the two I'm working on now. But they will be reiteration and explanation; refining and nuancing things I have already said. 

I realize, too, that my writing is a series of "notes to self." I write about things that puzzle me, ideas and issues I am trying to tease out. The jumble of words in my head make more sense when I write them out. The writing makes room in my mind to consider other things. So, selfish as it sounds I write for myself. If my words make any sense, they make sense to me. Now it's possible that what makes sense to me makes sense to other folk but that does not necessarily follow. If what I say is helpful then refine it and make it your own.

So, looking back over 27 years of published writing how would I summarize my "notes to self"?

1. Loving nonviolence is always preferable to violence in solving disputes.

2. Tolerant and pluralistic social arrangements are necessary but fragile.

3. Truth is found in a myriad of guises.

4. Animals matter.

5. Nature is all there is: learn its ways.

6. Say little to nothing about G*d.

7. Avoid hubris.

8. Look for the divine goodness in all.

9. Be kind.

And with that I've run out of things to say,

Be well today,

+Ab. Andy