The coming of a better world

You never know what is round the corner. Who'd have thought in Advent 2019 that in 2021 we would be preparing for a second pandemic Christmas? Yesterday I had my Moderna booster. This morning I feel like I have been proverbially "run-over-by-a-streamroller." Still, I'm not complaining. I'm glad of the protection.

It's a beautiful day: unseasonably warm, leafless trees framed against a clear blue sky, the Third Sunday of Advent, "stir up Sunday" when traditionally the Christmas pudding was cooked (the Prayer Book collect for this day begins "Stir up your power, O God"). 

When we came to the United States nearly 27 years ago we began collecting bits and pieces of ornaments for the Christmas season. At a local store, long since out of business, we found a series of Santa Claus figurines. Each four inch Santa was dressed historically in the garb of its nation, all different, and each had the country and date. These little Santas were largely of the pre-red suit variety—Santa splendid in green, yellow or brown. We have a dozen that make their appearances each year and grace our mantelpiece in the kitchen. The other day I was warming myself by the log fire and soft-focused on the little figures. The dates caught my eye: Hungary 1884, Germany 1908, Belgium 1900, Austria 1904, England 1905. Then it struck me. These were all countries that shortly after the date of these Santas would be involved in the First World War. In 1918, at the war's conclusion, different numbers could be attached to the Santa's plinth: Austria-Hungary 1.9 million dead, Germany 2.8 million dead, Belgium 88 thousand dead, Great Britain and Ireland 1.35 million dead. In that first decade of the twentieth century, the fin de siรจcle, who could have imagined what was just around the corner a few short years later?

It's also likely true that the folk in each of those countries, as they decorated their Christmas trees and carefully placed their Christmas ornaments, including the little Santas, had hope of a better world; for that is what Advent is about. The "coming of God" is a powerful symbol looking beyond itself to a better world to come. The Advent readings that tell of judgement and endings, of power and might are fulfilled not in cataclysmic destruction but in the simplicity of a new born child. In each new birth is hope of a better future.

But you never know what is round the corner. We didn't see the pandemic coming, though their were signs for those with eyes to see. European nations did not see the Great War coming, though there were signs then too. Currently our news feed tells of Russian preparation to invade the Ukraine and of China preparing to invade Taiwan. Signs of things to come, just around the corner? Who knows.

The other theme of Advent is preparation. It's difficult to prepare for what you do not know. But the preparation is an inner preparation, giving you a balance and composure for whatever lies around the bend.

I shall ponder on the shape of a better world; a theme I considered in my last book Pragmtic Nonviolence: Working Toward a Better World (Leiden: Rodopi/Brill, 2021). Despite the "signs" I am hopeful. 

In the meantime I think I'll take my aching body back to bed!

Advent blessings,

+Ab. Andy