You too are an influencer

"Woman in her thirties makes $10,000 a week for five hours work," runs the headline. How does she do it? She is an influencer on social media. She has a large following and her social media presence is funded by advertisements and sponsorship. The more followers, the more money rolls in. It's a good gig if you can get it! She influences her followers in a variety of ways: In their purchasing choices, or in their political opinions, or in their adherence to conspiracies, or in whatever the influencer (and their sponsors) want. The influencer perhaps, too, shifts their followers in their aspirations: "I want to be like her." Being an "influencer" as a career choice is a new thing. But being an influencer of others in everyday life has always existed. We're all influencers in small ways and big, but most likely in small everyday stuff.

I am being watched. Not in any creepy, stalking way (at least I hope not) but in most everything I do other people see me: Jane, the pugs, my neighbors, my colleagues at the university, my students, the checkout assistant, other shoppers at the grocery store, the AT&T person on the line when I'm complaining about something or other, other drivers on my way to work, every email and text I send. In every interaction, every relationship I'm being watched. And every interaction can be an influence for good or for bad.

Today, that thought raises a couple of questions for me: what do others see in their interactions with me? What kind of person do I want to be? 

I shall ponder my questions today.

Be well all,

+Ab. Andy