Happy Maewyn Succat's Day!

Born in Somerset, England, or perhaps Wales, or even Scotland, in the fourth century, Maewyn Succat, was the given name of the Irish patron saint. He changed it to Patrick when he became a priest ... Patricius, "father of the people." Nowadays, people choose names for their children largely by what sounds nice, or what other people are calling their kids. That's fine. Who'd want a name that doesn't sound nice? Or even worse, a weird name? Maewyn has a nice welsh lilt to it, but you don't see many kids named after St. Patrick pre-Patrick. 
Names come in and out of fashion. In the 1950s, according to the Office of National Statistics, in England Andrew was the 12th most popular boy's name. By sheer coincidence (or was it fate) Jane was the 12th most popular girl's name. Number one choices were David and Susan, followed closely by John and Linda. (How many British "David and Susan," and "John and Linda" couples do you know from our generation? I can name a bunch.)
But names also have meaning. Andrew, from the Greek, means "manly" (I've always thought so ...) and Jane, from the Hebrew, means "God is gracious" (I've always thought that too ...).
People change their names or add a.k.a for some significant reason. Maewyn to Patrick was important. Patrick, in myth and legend, became the "father" of the Irish, and is so celebrated today. 
When people adopt a religion or tradition, or else become a functionary in a religion, a new name is often given. "Christian" names are the names given to babies at baptism. Traditionally Jewish boy's names were kept secret until the bris. Jewish girl's are often named nowadays on the eighth day after birth too. Traditionally, naming is accompanied by ceremony, ritual, some sense of importance. Names are changed, or an a.k.a. given, at important life events. In the scriptures, Abram becomes Abraham, Sarai becomes Sarah, Simon becomes Peter, Saul becomes Paul, together with a bunch of others.
I like the name my parents gave me, and have never had reason to change it. But I do have two a.k.a.s. When I became a disciple of a taijiquan master, I was given the name Chen Cheng Fei (Chinese). Chen is the family name. Cheng the generation name (thirteenth generation, and means sincerity), and Fei is my personal name. Fei means "to fly." I was also given a Zen name when I took refuge. Hishoji (Japanese)  means "soaring compassion." I appreciate the names I have been given, as each is meaningful, and each marks a significant stage in my life journey.
I have a number of friends who, like Patrick, changed their names when they were ordained as priests, or when they were professed in a religious order. It's not a bad thing to do. Names are important. Names add symbolic meaning to life. Names are way-markers.
Happy St. Patrick's day! Enjoy a pint, or a dram, for me. Sláinte!

+Ab. Andy