Easter Thoughts

Some Lents are better than others are. This year, for some reason, Lent has been a struggle. I have not been as focussed as at other times. I have not felt as centered. It began well with Ash Wednesday and a beautiful service at the motherhouse here in Ithaca. There were the usual elements of fasting and preparation, yet with no particular sense this year. I think I was feeling bad that it had not been a better Lent.

Then, on Maundy Thursday, there was a very sweet sense of God’s presence. On Good Friday, we ended the liturgy in darkness and silence. And expectation.

Then, today, Holy Saturday, +Jane and I spent the afternoon in the garden. We cleared away the debris of the winter; moving leaves, revealing life. Life was everywhere. It was overwhelming. Then revelation. Lent is preparation for life. I think I had always seen Lent as preparation for death. But no, death had been there during the winter months. There was no need to prepare for death. It was upon us. Today, in the garden we made way for life. It is perhaps obvious, but it came new to me today: the Lenten weeks prepare us for life . . . unstoppable, irrepressible, overabundant life.

Christ is risen. Alleluia!